Buscar este blog

jueves, 16 de marzo de 2017

Messerschmitt Me 110 C



Messerschmitt Bf 110 C

Bf 110 C-4/B of 1./ZG 1

La serie C apareció en enero de 1939 con una corta serie de preproducción, con motores DB 601 A y fuselaje y alas algo más pequeñas. El armamento era igual que en el B-1. El modelo de serie fue el C-1, similar al anterior pero con un armamento potenciado disponiendo de 4 ametralladoras MG 17 de 7´92 mm, 2 cañones MG FF de 20 mm y una ametralladora MG 15 de 7´92 mm para su autodefensa en la parte posterior de la cabina. El C-1/U1 era igual que el C-1 salvo por los motores, una pareja de DB 601 N, y que estaba dotado con el equipo necesario para remolcar el planeador Me 321 Gigant.

La serie C-2 y C-3 era como la C-1 pero en la C-2 los sistemas eléctricos fueron rediseñados, además se cambió la radio FuG 3 por la mejorada FuG 10. El modelo C-3 recibió un cañón adicional MG FF de 20 mm alimentado por un tambor. Posteriormente apareció la versión C-4 (similar a la C-2) con un cañón adicional MG FF de 20 mm y blindaje adicional para la tripulación. El C-4/B fue la primera conversión para ataque al suelo y estaba equipado con dos soportes ventrales ETC 500 para dos bombas de 250 Kg. Esta versión salió de las cadenas de montaje con los motores DB 601 N que desarrollaban 1.200 hp de potencia. El C-5 y C-6 también derivaron del C-2 el primero de ellos equipado para el reconocimiento fotográfico con cámaras Rb 50/30 mientras que el C-6 contaba con armamento más potente; un cañón MK 108 de 30 mm y dos cañones MG FF de 20 mm. Por su parte el C-7 derivaba del C-4 y era capaz de portar dos bombas de 1.000 Kg para misiones de ataque al suelo aunque el tren de aterrizaje tuvo que ser reforzado para soportar la carga extra.


Datos técnicos del Bf 110 C-4
Tipo
Caza pesado bimotor Zerstörer
Motores
Dos Daimler Benz DB 601A de 821 kW (1.100 hp) en V invertida de pistón
Velocidad máxima
560 Km/h a 7.000 metros
Velocidad ascensorial
660 metros por minuto
Techo
10.000 metros
Autonomía
775 Km
Peso
5.200 Kg en vacio y 6.750 Kg con carga.
Dimensiones
16´27 m de envergadura
12´65 m de longitud
3´50 m de altura
Armamento
Dos cañones MG 151 de 20 mm y cuatro ametralladoras MG 17 de 7´92 mm en tiro de caza. Una ametralladora MG 81Z de 7´92 mm en la parte trasera de la cabina.


Messesrschmitt Bf 110 C-4

Fuentes:
BREFFORT, D. “Messerschmitt Me 110: Messerschmitt´s twin-engined Bf 110, Me 210 and 410 ” Histoire and Collections, 2009
MANKAU, H. “Messerschmitt Bf 110/Me 210/Me 410: An Illustrated History” Schiffer, 2003
WEAL, J. “Messerschmitt Bf 110 Zerstörer Aces of World War 2” Osprey, 1999

English version

The C series appeared in January of 1939 with a short series of pre-production, with motors DB 601 A and fuselage and somewhat smaller wings. The armament was the same as in the B-1. The standard model was the C-1, similar to the previous one but with a reinforced armament having 4 MG machine guns of 7'92 mm, 2 MG FF guns of 20 mm and a machine gun MG 15 of 7'92 mm for its self-defense In the back of the cabin. The C-1/U1 was the same as the C-1 except for the engines, a pair of DB 601 N, and it was equipped with the necessary equipment to tow the Glider Me 321 Gigant.

The C-2 and C-3 series were like the C-1 but in the C-2 the electrical systems were redesigned, in addition the FuG 3 radio was changed by the improved FuG 10. The C-3 model received an additional MG FF of 20 mm fed by a drum. Later, the C-4 version (similar to the C-2) appeared with an additional MG FF gun of 20 mm and additional armor for the crew. The C-4/B was the first conversion to ground attack and was equipped with two ETC 500 ventral supports for two 250 kg pumps. This version came out of the assembly lines with the DB 601 N engines that developed 1,200 hp of power. The C-5 and C-6 also derived from the C-2 the first one equipped for photographic recognition with cameras Rb 50/30 while the C-6 had more powerful armament; A 30 mm MK 108 barrel and two 20 mm MG FF guns. For its part the C-7 was derived from the C-4 and was able to carry two 1,000 kg bombs for ground attack missions although the landing gear had to be reinforced to withstand the extra charge.


Messerschmitt Bf 110 C-4, possibly W.Nr. 3271: coded "2N+DR", flown by Oblt. Hans Kriegel, Staffelkapitän of 7./ZG 76, Stavenger-Sola, February 1941


Sources:
BREFFORT, D. “Messerschmitt Me 110: Messerschmitt´s twin-engined Bf 110, Me 210 and 410 ” Histoire and Collections, 2009
MANKAU, H. “Messerschmitt Bf 110/Me 210/Me 410: An Illustrated History” Schiffer, 2003
WEAL, J. “Messerschmitt Bf 110 Zerstörer Aces of World War 2” Osprey, 1999

viernes, 24 de febrero de 2017

QF de 113 mm Mk II



Cañón antiaéreo QF de 113 mm 
Mk II


Esta pieza de artillería antiaérea fue diseñada por Vickers en 1938 para su uso naval aunque la necesidad lo empujó hasta las manos del Ejército de tierra. Su diseño inicial lo embarcaban en las naves de la Royal Navy como artillería naval sin embargo durante sus pruebas se pensó en otro cometido para él. El Ejército necesitaba un cañón más potente para la defensa antiáerea y se pensó en el QF Mk II de 113 mm para este cometido. En las altas esferas militares surgieron desavenencias por la idea pero finalmente el Almirantazgo cedió parte de la producción al Ejército pero no sin condiciones. Estos cañones debían ser destinados a la defensa de astilleros y otras instalaciones ligadas a la Royal Navy.

Para su uso naval se había diseñado un diseño doble del QF Mk II de 113 mm, idóneo para su empleo como artillería naval. Por su parte, el Ejército, quería que los montajes fuesen simples, de un solo cañón. Estas desavenencias provocaron retrasos aunque estuvieron listos para 1940 ya que su producción comenzó casi un año antes. El nombre oficial que se le asignó fue Ordnance, Q.F. 4,5-in, AA Mk II. Estos cañones se emplazaron en posiciones fijas (el peso del cañón ascendía hasta los 16.841 Kg) aunque disponían de un remolque aunque no era ni rápido ni fácil de preparar. En su empleo estático mantenía su torreta para proteger a la dotación contra metralla y proyectiles de poco calibre mientras que se apoyaba sobre un pedestal que delataba su origen naval.

Como herencia de su diseño naval conservaba los accesorios habituales; el cargador automático, un pesado contrapeso sobre la culata y el regulador de la espoleta sobre la cuchara de carga. El sistema para el manejo de la munición era indispensable ya que cada proyectil completo pesaba casi 39 kg. Entre 1939 y 1945 se completaron un total de 474 cañones para su distribución entre el Ejército y la Royal Navy. Tenía una elevación máxima de +80º, una depresión de 0º con una vida útil del cañón de unos 650 disparos. En manos de una dotación entrenada podía desarrollar una cadencia de tiro de 12 disparos por minuto con un alcance máximo de 18.970 metros (13.000 metros de alcance efectivo)

Parque Clapham Common, en Londres, el 20 de Agosto de 1940

Fuentes:
CAMPBELL, J. “Naval Weapons of World War II. Naval Institute Press, 1985
ROUTLEDGE, Brigadier NW. “History of the Royal Regiment of Artillery – Anti-Aircraft Artillery 1914–55” Brassey's, 1994


English version

This piece of antiaircraft artillery was designed by Vickers in 1938 for naval use although the necessity pushed it into the hands of the Army. Its initial design embarked it in the ships of the Royal Navy like naval artillery nevertheless during his tests thought in another task for him. The Army needed a more powerful cannon for the antiaircraft defense and thought in the QF Mk II of 113 mm for this task. In the high military spheres arose disagreements by the idea but finally the Admiralty ceded part of the production to the Army but not without conditions. These guns were intended for the defense of shipyards and other facilities linked to the Royal Navy.

For its naval use a double design of the QF Mk II of 113 mm had been designed, suitable for its use as naval artillery. For its part, the Army, wanted the assemblies to be simple, single-barreled. These disagreements caused delays although they were ready for 1940 since its production began almost a year before. The official name assigned to him was Ordnance, Q.F. 4.5-in, AA Mk II. These cannons were placed in fixed positions (the weight of the barrel ascended to 16,841 kg) although they had a trailer although it was neither fast nor easy to prepare. In his static employment he kept his turret to protect the crew against shrapnel and small-caliber projectiles while leaning on a pedestal that betrayed its naval origin.

As inheritance of its naval design conserved the usual accessories; The automatic loader, a heavy counterbalance on the cylinder head and the fuse regulator on the loading bucket. The system for the handling of ammunition was indispensable since each full projectile weighed almost 39 kg. Between 1939 and 1945 a total of 474 guns were completed for distribution between the Army and the Royal Navy. It had a maximum elevation of + 80 °, a depression of 0 ° with a barrel life of about 650 shots. In the hands of a trained staff could develop a cadence of shot of 12 shots per minute with a maximum range of 18,970 meters (13,000 meters of effective range)



Fuentes:
CAMPBELL, J. “Naval Weapons of World War II. Naval Institute Press, 1985
ROUTLEDGE, Brigadier NW. “History of the Royal Regiment of Artillery – Anti-Aircraft Artillery 1914–55” Brassey's, 1994

martes, 14 de febrero de 2017

91º Grupo de bombardeo



91st Bombardment Group

B-17G Bomber Nine 'O Nine 91st Bomb Group
 
El 91º Grupo de bombardeo Pesado (91º BG) fue constituido el 28 de enero de 1942 y activado el 15 de abril de ese mismo año. La unidad recibió su entrenamiento a bordo de bombarderos B-17 y fueron trasladados a Inglaterra entre agosto y octubre de 1942 siendo asignados a la 8º Air Force. Durante la contienda actuaron como unidad de bombardeo estratégico entrando en combate en noviembre de 1942 concentrando sus ataques sobre las bases de submarinos alemanes, astilleros, los puertos y sus instalaciones hasta mediados de 1943. Durante este periodo también realizaron ataques sobre aeródromos, fábricas y las comunicaciones terrestres. El 27 de enero de 1943 realizaron una incursión sobre el puerto de Wilhelmshaven durante la primera incursión de la 8º AF sobre Alemania. Para su misión sobre Hamm el 4 de marzo de 1943 fueron equipados con sistemas para bombardear con tiempo adverso realizando su misión a pesar de la fuerte oposición de la Luftwaffe. Desde mediados de 1943 hasta que terminó la guerra, se dedicaron principalmente a ataques contra fábricas de aviones, aeródromos e instalaciones petroleras. Entre los objetivos específicos figuraban los campos de Villacoublay y Oldenburg, las fábricas de aeronaves de Oranienburg y Bruselas, las industrias químicas de Leverkusen y Peenemunde, las plantas de rodamiento de bolas de Schweinfurt y otras industrias de Ludwigshafen, Berlín, Frankfurt y Wilhelmshaven. El 11 de enero de 1944 los Groups de la 8º AF se dirigieron al centro de Alemania para atacar fábricas de aviones vitales. Participando en esta operación, el 91º BG bombardeó con éxito sus blancos a pesar del mal tiempo, de la cobertura inadecuada de cazas y del severo ataque enemigo.

Ampliando sus operaciones para incluir misiones de interdicción y apoyo, el grupo contribuyó a la invasión de Normandía bombardeando emplazamientos de armas y concentraciones de tropas cerca del área de cabeza de playa en junio de 1944. Ayudó a la brecha de St. Lo atacando las posiciones de las tropas enemigas entre el 24 y el 25 de julio de 1944. Apoyó a las tropas en las líneas de frente cerca de Caen en agosto de ese mismo año. Asistieron al empuje a través del Rin, atacando aeródromos, puentes y ferrocarriles cerca de las líneas de frente en la primavera de 1945. Tras el final de la guerra sirvieron para evacuar prisioneros de los campos alemanes. La unidad regresó a los Estados Unidos entre junio y julio de 1945 siendo desactivado el 7 de noviembre de 1945.
 
Escuadrones:
7th Geodetic: 1949-1950
91st: 1949-1950
322d: 1942-1945; 1947-1948, 1949-1952
323d: 1942-1945
324th: 1942-1945; 1947-1952
401st: 1942-1945.

 The insignia of the 91st Bomb Group

Fuentes:
BROWMAN, M. “B-17 Flying Fortress Units of the Eighth Air Force” Osprey, 2002
MAURER, M. “Air Force Combat Units Of World War II.” Maxwell, 1983
PONS, G. “8th Air Force: American Heavy Bomber Groups in England 1942-1945 Histoire & Collections, 2006


English version

The 91st Heavy Bombardment Group (91º BG) was formed on January 28, 1942 and activated on April 15 of that same year. The unit received its training aboard B-17 bombers and was transferred to England between August and October of 1942 being assigned to the 8th Air Force. During the war they acted as a strategic bombing unit entering combat in November 1942 concentrating their attacks on the bases of German submarines, shipyards, ports and their facilities until mid-1943. During this period they also carried out attacks on aerodromes, factories and Terrestrial communications. The 27 of January of 1943 made a raid on the port of Wilhelmshaven during the first incursion of 8º AF on Germany. For their mission on Hamm on March 4, 1943 they were equipped with systems to bomb with adverse weather accomplishing their mission despite the strong opposition of the Luftwaffe. From mid-1943 until the end of the war, they were mainly engaged in attacks against aircraft factories, airfields and oil facilities. Specific objectives included the Villacoublay and Oldenburg fields, Oranienburg and Brussels aircraft factories, Leverkusen and Peenemunde chemical plants, Schweinfurt ball bearing plants and other industries in Ludwigshafen, Berlin, Frankfurt and Wilhelmshaven. On January 11, 1944 the Groups of the 8th AF went to the center of Germany to attack vital aircraft factories. Participating in this operation, the 91st BG successfully bombed its targets despite bad weather, inadequate fighter cover and severe enemy attack.

Extending its operations to include interdiction and support missions, the group contributed to the Normandy invasion by bombing gun sites and troop concentrations near the beachhead area in June 1944. It aided the St. Lo breach by attacking the positions Of the enemy troops between 24 and 25 July 1944. He supported the troops on the front lines near Caen in August of that same year. They attended the push across the Rhine, attacking airfields, bridges and railroads near the front lines in the spring of 1945. After the end of the war they served to evacuate prisoners from German camps. The unit returned to the United States between June and July of 1945 being deactivated the 7 of November of 1945.

Squadrons:
7th Geodetic: 1949-1950
91st: 1949-1950
322d: 1942-1945; 1947-1948, 1949-1952
323d: 1942-1945
324th: 1942-1945; 1947-1952
401st: 1942-1945.

B-17F after crash 91st bomb Group 323rd BS 42-30157

Sources:
BROWMAN, M. “B-17 Flying Fortress Units of the Eighth Air Force” Osprey, 2002
MAURER, M. “Air Force Combat Units Of World War II.” Maxwell, 1983
PONS, G. “8th Air Force: American Heavy Bomber Groups in England 1942-1945 Histoire & Collections, 2006

miércoles, 8 de febrero de 2017

U-432



U-432
(1º Parte)


El U-432 fue botado el 3 de febrero de 1941 y construido en los astilleros de F.Schichau GmbH, Danzig bajo los parámetros del Typ VIIc. El U-Boot fue puesto bajo el mando del OL Heinz-Otto Schultze (posteriormente ascendido a KL) hasta el 15 de enero de 1943. Durante toda su vida operativa estuvo encuadrado en el 3.U-Flottille, Kiel y en La Pallice como Ausbildungsboot y como Frontboot.

Sus dos primeras patrullas transcurrieron sin novedades finalizando la segunda el 12 de agosto de 1941. El 25 de agosto de 1941 zarpa de Trondheim dando comienzo así a su tercera patrulla, rumbo al Atlántico Norte. Siete días más tarde estaba encuadrado en el Grupo Markgraf patrullando el suroeste de Islandia. Tras cambiar dos veces de rumbo, los convoyes evitaron a la manda de lobos grises y el día 6 el Grupo Markgraf cambió de táctica para cubrir más terreno. El convoy SC42 fue avistado por el U-85 el día 9 cerca de Cape Farewell y a primera hora del día siguiente comenzó el ataque alemán. El U-432 logró hundir 3 buques mercantes; el SS. Muneric (británico 5.229tn), el SS. Winterswijk (holandés 3.205tn) y al SS. Stargaard (noruego 1.113tn). Se mantuvo el contacto con el convoy hasta el día 14 pero sin ningún éxito más. En total el convoy SC 42 perdió 16 buques junto con otros dos dañados. Finalmente el U-432 alcanzó el puerto de Brest el 19 de septiembre.

El 11 de octubre zarpó en su 4º patrulla rumbo al Atlántico Norte dónde se uniría a un nuevo Grupo para interceptar al convoy SC48 localizado por el U-553 la noche del 14 al 15 de octubre. Varios U-Boote trataron de atacarlo pero fueron rechazados por la escolta del convoy. A pesar del refuerzo de la escolta continuó el ataque alemán y el U-432 logró hundir dos buques el día 17 por la mañana. Sus presas fueron el SS. Evros (griego 5.283tn) y el buque cisterna MV. Barfonn (noruego 9.739tn). Las operaciones contra el convoy finalizaron al día siguiente con un excelente resultado final; 9 buques, 1 corbeta y un destructor fue hundido mientras que otro destructor resultó dañado. El U-432 junto a otros U-Boote formaron un nuevo grupo a partir del 22 de octubre con la designación de Reissewolf. El grupo se situó a 450 millas al Sureste de Groenlandia pero los convoyes fueron desviados ya que se conocía la ubicación del grupo. El día 27 el grupo se dirigió hacia el convoy ON28 que había sido localizado por el U-74 pero por esas fechas el U-432 dejó el grupo para regresar a puerto. Al día siguiente puso rumbo al convoy HG75 siguiendo las indicaciones de los U-563 y U-564 del Grupo Breslau. El U-432 atacó al convoy el 28 por la mañana al noreste de las Azores logrando hundir al mercante británico SS. Ulea (1.574tn). También informó del hundimiento de un segundo buque aunque no hay constancia de ello. El 2 de noviembre de 1941 el U-432 alcanzó el puerto de St. Nazarie sin contratiempos.

Tras casi un mes de merecido descanso el U-432 y su tripulación zarpó de St. Nazarie el 10 de diciembre de 1941 rumbo al Atlántico Norte. Al día siguiente recibió la orden de dirigirse al Mediterráneo junto a otros U-Boote pero en la noche del 16 al 17 resultó dañado por la acción de un Swordfish del Squadron 812 (FAA) cuando intentaba cruzar el estrecho. Los daños fueron lo suficientemente graves como para poner rumbo a puerto seguro alcanzado La Pallice el 23 de Diciembre de 1941. 

 
Fuentes:
NIESTLE, A. “German U-Boot losses during World War II ” Naval Institute Press 1998
BLAIR, C. “Hitler´s U-Boat war” Random House, 1998
WYNN, K. “U-Boat operations of the Second World War” Naval Institute Press 1998

English version

The U-432 was launched on February 3, 1941 and built in the yards of F.Schichau GmbH, Danzig under the parameters of Typ VIIc. The U-Boot was put under the command of the OL Heinz-Otto Schultze (later promoted to KL) until January 15, 1943. During his entire operational life he was framed in 3.U-Flottille, Kiel and La Pallice as Ausbildungsboot and as Frontboot.

His first two patrols passed without news ending the second on August 12, 1941. On August 25, 1941 set sail from Trondheim thus starting his third patrol, heading for the North Atlantic. Seven days later he was in the Markgraf Group patrolling southwest Iceland. After switching twice, the convoys avoided the gray wolves and on the 6th Markgraf Group changed tactics to cover more ground. The convoy SC42 was sighted by U-85 on day 9 near Cape Farewell and the first hour of the following day the German attack began. The U-432 managed to sink 3 merchant ships; The SS. Muneric (British 5,229tn), SS. Winterswijk (Dutch 3.205tn) and SS. Stargaard (Norwegian 1.113tn). Contact with the convoy was maintained until day 14 but without any success. In total the convoy SC 42 lost 16 ships along with two damaged ones. Finally the U-432 reached the port of Brest on 19 September.

On October 11 he sailed on his 4th patrol heading to the North Atlantic where he would join a new Group to intercept the convoy SC48 located on U-553 on the night of October 14 to 15. Several U-Boote tried to attack him but were rejected by the escort of the convoy. Despite the reinforcement of the escort continued the German attack and the U-432 managed to sink two ships on the 17th in the morning. Their prey were the SS. Evros (Greek 5.283tn) and the tanker MV. Barfonn (Norwegian 9.739tn). The operations against the convoy ended the following day with an excellent final result; 9 ships, 1 corvette and one destroyer was sunk while another destroyer was damaged. The U-432 along with other U-Boote formed a new group from the 22 of October with the designation of Reissewolf. The group was located 450 miles southeast of Greenland but the convoys were diverted as the location of the group was known. On the 27th the group headed towards the ON28 convoy that had been located by the U-74 but at that time the U-432 left the group to return to port. The next day he set out for the HG75 convoy following the indications of U-563 and U-564 of the Breslau Group. The U-432 attacked the convoy on 28 in the morning to the northeast of the Azores and managed to sink the British merchant SS. Ulea (1574tn). He also reported the sinking of a second vessel although there is no record of it. On November 2, 1941 the U-432 reached the port of St. Nazarie without mishaps.

After almost a month of well-deserved rest the U-432 and its crew sailed from St. Nazarie on December 10, 1941, heading for the North Atlantic. The next day he was ordered to go to the Mediterranean with other U-Boote but in the night from 16 to 17 he was damaged by the action of a Squadron 812 (FAA) Swordfish when he tried to cross the Straits. The damage was severe enough to set sail for safe harbor reached La Pallice on December 23, 1941.

U-432

Fuentes:
NIESTLE, A. “German U-Boot losses during World War II ” Naval Institute Press 1998
BLAIR, C. “Hitler´s U-Boat war” Random House, 1998
WYNN, K. “U-Boat operations of the Second World War” Naval Institute Press 1998